With a great team of developers and designers, Fit with Friends is turning into a mobile web app! Now, you might ask, mobile web app, what’s that? I hear the word app… I think I know what that means…
We chose between two different types of software, a native app or a mobile web app, and we picked mobile web app.
A “native app” is what you think of as a regular app. You can go to the App Store or the Google Play Store and download it on your phone! You may have lots of different apps on your phone, like Spotify, a banking app, Tinder, or a coupon app for the grocery store.
A mobile website, or mobile web app is a website that can fit on all devices and work on all screens. This is different than a static website like a blog, because it’s interactive. Maybe instead of downloading the Facebook app on your phone, you use a browser like Safari or Chrome to get on Facebook. This is what we are making for Fit with Friends!
Native apps and mobile web apps can look very similar, but there are definitely differences. Here are some reasons we chose to make a mobile web app first.
Advantages of a mobile web app
- A mobile web app can be used on any device. It works on Androids, iPhones, tablets, and laptops. When people create native apps, they usually have to choose between creating an iPhone app or Android app first. This means half the market must wait around a few months for an app to come out on their device.
- A mobile web app is flexible so users don’t have to install updates. On a mobile app, updates are done behind the scenes by the developers. There is no need for the user to download a new version or install and update on the app.
- A mobile web app is quicker and easier to make than a native app. Creating one site for all users is quicker than writing multiple codes for Android and iOS.
- Once there is a design and a working code for Fit with Friends, it will be much easier to then turn it into a native app which people will be able to download from the App Store or Google Play.
- Our developers have more experience with mobile web apps. We are really excited to share Fit with Friends with all of our users, and a mobile app gets the first iteration out quicker to everyone!
- Although mobile web apps are harder to find, because they are not on an App store, we will continue to link to Fit with Friends in emails and remind people how to get to the app on the browser of their laptop, tablet or phone.
Stick with us on this journey as we build our mobile app! We can’t wait to release it and for you to join us!