Research tells us that prolonged sitting AND prolonged standing is not good for us. So Fit with Friends is campaigning to #QuitTheSit!
Too much sitting can lead to tight hip flexors, a strained neck, sore shoulders, and upper and lower back pain. But too much standing can lead to a strained neck and back. So our solution is to alternate between sitting and standing!
Quitting the sit is hard for people who work in office jobs. It may not be part of the culture to get up and start stretching, or you may get carried away in work instead of taking care of your body.
Healthy employees are productive employees and will cost the company less in insurance costs in the long run as well. I encourage you to focus on long term health and wellness as you #QuitTheSit!
Here are some ideas to take frequent breaks, alternate between sitting and standing and how to #QuitTheSit!
- If you can afford it, purchase a fancy standing desk that moves up and down. If you can’t afford it, try this awesome one made of cardboard!
- Drink LOTS of water so you have to get up frequently to fill your cup and to use the restroom
- Set an alarm and do 10 squats and a 1 minute plank every hour
- Each time you move to a new task, alternate between sitting and standing
- Watch TV while standing and doing squats or other multitasking exercises
- Get coworkers to join in stretch sessions every hour or two. Each break you can stretch a different muscle group
- Work on both your low back and core to maintain good posture
A little bit of work each day goes a long way! Join us as we #QuitTheSit!