Fit with Friend-ers never cease to amaze me with their creativity and intelligence. Throughout the Fit with Friends journey, we have all stumbled upon shortcuts, tips, and hacks that make it easier to eat healthy and sneak exercise into our day.
Compiled here are a bunch of easy to implement, tested and recommended, crowd-sourced tips from Fit with Friend-ers.
- Get up earlier and workout in the mornings. Even though it’s hard, the day goes so much better if you start it out with exercise! And when you’re tired after a long day at work, you get to come home and relax because your workout is already done!
- Do squats while brushing your teeth! You’re just standing there and have to do it anyway, so you may as well make it doubly productive!
- Get it done in the morning before you do anything else. Squats, push-ups, lunges, and mountain climbers can be done in less than 10 minutes and are a lot of points. Wake up just 10 minutes early and get them done! It’s a good way to start the day and feel you’ve accomplished something. The longer I wait, the harder it gets… and the more frustrated I get with myself for not achieving my goal.
- I do squats, lunges, etc, while cooking dinner.
- Don’t buy a mixer, then you get an arm workout while baking!
Healthy Eating Tips
- I try not to go to the grocery store hungry and buy lots of fruits and snackable veggies (carrots, sweet peppers, sugar snap peas, etc) and nuts for snacks. That way when I’m craving that extra sugar, fruits and veggies are all I see!
- I make a big pot of steel cut oats on Sunday and add cinnamon and chia or flax seed (or both.) I use unsweetened applesauce to sweeten it. Weekday mornings I spoon some into a bowl, heat it in the microwave and top it with sliced banana or blueberries.
- To get in 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day I make GIANT SMOOTHIES WITH ALL THE FRUITS!!!!
- When I want a Soda I drink sparkling water with fresh lemon slices or a touch of pomegranate juice. Yum!
- I add lemon and ice to my water. It’s much easier for me to drink when it’s flavored and cold.
- Avoid the candy aisle in the grocery store (if only I’d listen to my own advice…)
- I drink a glass of very warm water first thing in the morning.
- I food prep on Sundays! Even if you haven’t planned all your meals for the week, having pre-cut veggies, hard boiled eggs, juices, steamed veggies, etc, makes it so much easier to throw together healthy meals in a snap.
- I also started replacing one meal with smoothies – only at the weekends for now. I feel much better if I have a smoothie for lunch after a strong breakfast.
- I have five rotating meal plans printed out that I use weekly. I’ve compiled grocery shopping lists for each plan, printed out the recipes for each and put everything in a binder. That way every weekend I just flip to the next week grab the shopping list and know exactly what I need from the store and can do all of my meal prep (thaw meat, chop vegetables, make sauces, etc) ahead of time. It has helped SO MUCH!
- I buy lots of bananas, blueberries, avocados and cuties! Makes it easier to eat many servings 🙂
General Health Tips
- I use a Neti pot with a drop of tea tree oil in the shower!
- I wash my hands a lot!
- Drink pomegranate juice when you have a cold. It makes the cold go away quicker.
- If you hear or read something that upsets you, stop and breathe, and remember that getting angry won’t help the situation. Thinking through might help, though.
- Learn to pass up many many good things. You don’t have time to engage in all the good opportunities that come your way. Say yes only to the very best.