As a personal trainer, group fitness instructor and self-proclaimed exercise extraordinaire, sometimes people ask me about the secrets that we fitness pros know that nobody else does. Today I’ll share with you the secret to sticking to your workout routine.
Check out the picture of my brother and the one of me. We both LOVE going to the gym. If we could spend every second in the gym, we would. Does it look like we do the same thing? NO! Josh does bicep curls while I run around and throw medicine balls at the wall. We both found something we love and we do it almost every day.
If having the most fun of you life, laughing until you’re about to cry, hearing positive reinforcement, playing games and making new best friends at 6 am doesn’t sound like fun, my fitness class probably isn’t the one for you. You might be better suited for Zumba or Yoga or Water Aerobics… and that’s ok!
One of my best friends loves playing soccer. I, on the other hand, am one of the most uncoordinated people you will ever meet and am terrified by organized sports. We both found something we can stick with and a way to get healthy.
The key to sticking with an exercise routine is to do something that you enjoy! There is no one size fits all, but there are infinite options!
Exercise isn’t a chore when you love what you do!
Just do it!
We all have different styles, preferences and tastes. When you’re stuck in an exercise rut, try new workouts until you find something you enjoy!
Here are 15 AMAZING ideas to get you started:
- Find a rec sports league, like soccer, volleyball or lacrosse!
- Try kayaking, hiking, rock climbing, cross country skiing or another outdoor activity
- Take dance classes! Or just dance around your house pretending to be in Step Up…
- Do lots and lots of yard work and cleaning and chores! As a bonus, your house and yard will be very tidy!
- Use a walking treadmill desk for an hour each day
- Play wii! (Personally, I love the non-stop shuffle setting on the game Just Dance)
- Train for a marathon! (Especially good for people who are masochistic)
- Take fitness classes
- Move to a farm and start throwing hay bales around! You’ll be fit AND have farm fresh eggs!
- LARPing… I mean, it’s an option!
- Try a personal trainer or small group training at a gym
- Crossfit (just be safe, please!)
- Babysit children, chase them around, carry them on your back all day and get paid to do it. Seriously people, this is genius. You’ll be fit and rich!
- Start a walking group at your work or in your neighborhood
- Do some interval training. It’s quick and effective if you are short on time!
There are infinite ways to get healthy, so get creative, find something you love and have fun!